Snow !Oh No. Part 3

Thursday, April 19
The sun is shining bright it feels like it's about 65° a little windy and we're getting ready to go walk around and explore some more.
We took a walk along the mighty San Francisco River and discovered the reason for the name of this campground. There is a ditch obviously for irrigation purposes that at one time fed from this raging torrent of a river.


After a treacherous fording we came back to camp where I decide to turn the unorganized jumble of firewood




into nice neat well stacked pieces.




 Now I'm sitting in the shade drinking Gatorade after eating a well deserved campground special peanut butter sandwich.
Friday, April 20
The wind blew like crazy all day. We found a few places to hide behind the tent or the truck in the sun for a little while but mostly we stayed inside the tent.
Saturday April 21
Took one of the protein drinks out of my river refrigerator for breakfast. It was ice cold and delicious. Cleared out the little log jam that allowed more coldwater to flow freely across the replaced river refrigerator.
Took a nice long walk before the wind again became brutal and then spent the rest of the afternoon hiding in the tent.

Sunday morning, April 22 I woke thinking of a mushroom cheese omelette.
We've had several sunny but very windy days here. This side of the mighty San Francisco River has been deserted until last night so it's been quiet. A county sheriff came driving through yesterday afternoon and stopped to chat.
Just before sundown a truck pulling a camper with another trailer behind it with two ATVs on back pulled in.
We went into the tent but heard them unloading the ATVs.
This morning before we got up we heard an ATV start and drive away. After we got up we noticed a woman and a young boy at the campsite. They took a walk and crossed the river where I had put my eggs and protein drink to stay cold. I thought nothing of it. About an hour later Duchess and I took a walk and came back across the river to discover that the eggs and protein drink we're gone. There was no one else in the whole campsite last night except for us. So should I assume this woman stole my eggs and protein drink? I looked around for animal tracks thinking it's possible that a large animal took the entire bag but found no indication that an animal had been near there and the branch the drawstring was looped around wasn't broken. I once had everything I owned stolen from a campsite when I was 19 years old and had a car stolen from a radio station parking lot. This is not quite that bad but it does deflate my faith in humanity. It seems obvious to me that since I was the only person in this campsite when they drove up that those eggs and protein drink belonged to me. I got angry but that doesn't help so I'll chalk it up to another lesson in trust. Don't trust anyone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Happy birthday for me

Gila cliff dwellings, hot springs and more

Somewhere in the San Juan National Forest